Thursday, June 9, 2011

Growing Up...

I was thinking about all the tv shows I loved to watch when I was younger compared to the shows that they have now. Tv has really gone down hill in its quality of shows (or maybe that's just part of growing up in general). I'm so glad Dave has this love of things from his childhood too though. So then we end up with things like: all the seasons of "X-Men" 
Yes, we actually sat down and watched all of them after buying them
or Looney Tunes and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as well as many movies from growing up (Disney collection is always growing).
So with all this I thought I'd show some examples of some shows I enjoyed growing up: (Now not all of these are what I'd call "excellent" but I still did enjoy them)
Gummi Bears was a cute little show with these bears who drank a juice that made them all bouncy. It was a medieval set show with a princess and everything. This show wasn't super popular but I loved it.
The Magic School Bus - was not only educational but extremely fun. This was the ideal school and teacher that everyone wish that they had with the exciting field trips and the crazy teacher.
I really liked My Little Pony which was not only a cute little tv series with a theme to each episode but they also had these great toys (which didn't require batteries and didn't even have move-able joints). I remember going over to Camille's house and we'd play with them all the time.
Disney Channel had tons of great shows on it like :
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, I always wanted to be inventive and smart like Gadget
Tale Spin which had Baloo from "The Jungle Book" in it
and there was Goof Troop which was always good.
I loved The Little Mermaid, not just the movie (which was my favorite when I was a kid... I had the bed set and everything) but the tv series also. There was also an "Aladdin" television series which I enjoyed too (the main bad guy in it was very creepy though).
Tommy and I both really liked Inspector Gadget with this goofy detective who always got into trouble trying to solve a case, but his niece was always there with her dog to bail him out (without him being aware of it too)
One of my favorites was Duck Tales and I still love it to this day (I have a couple episodes on vhs still). They also made a movie which is just as fun.
There was also Recess which was one of the many shows you'd wake up for and watch on "One Saturday Morning" which only played when that title says. Who didn't love this show?


Now at this time it wasn't just Disney who made some great tv shows for kids to watch, Nickelodeon was great too:
There wasn't a kid I knew who didn't love Doug (I'm pretty sure everyone my age still looks back on it with fondness). It was quirky with cool characters, a super hero, and a fun loving dog.
Hey Arnold was another fun where the maid character had a football shaped head. All the characters were fun and different.
Rugrats was probably next in line as a favorite made by Nick. with some babies who were always on the look out for adventure.
Another one Nick had was Rocko's Modern Life which was strange (Nickelodeon had a lot of strange shows) but good all at the same time
And then there was everything else, which for me included:
I watched the first generation only
(maybe part of the second)
Power Rangers
Yes, I watched more than just this but this is the majority of it all I think.