Thursday, October 24, 2013

DIY Bumblebee Birthday Toppers

 

For Cohen's first birthday I came up with this fun way to add bees to his birthday cake for his Classic Winnie the Pooh birthday party. I had seen a similar version in a magazine my grandma had mailed me with jellybeans but I didn't want to have to dig out yellow or black jellybeans from the rest of the colors so I used something I had on hand instead, mini marshmallows!
This is what you need to do this project:
  • mini marshmallows (each one is a bee so decide how many you want and add two more for back ups)
  • yellow food coloring
  • water (for coloring the marshmallows)
  • black gel
  • 1 toothpick per marshmallow
  • 1 toothpick for drawing the lines
  • almond slices
  • wax paper/baking parchment paper
First pour water into a bowl, I did about 1/4 of the bowl full, and you add a few drops of the yellow food coloring until you get a good solid yellow (the marshmallows won't absorb an intense color so know it'll be a light shade).
Put your marshmallows on their toothpicks (make sure they're not poked all the way through). Dunk each marshmallow in the water and count to 15. Take out and repeat again if you want it a little more vibrant but know that the marshmallow will start to dissolve if you leave it in the water too long.
*Tip for before you start the next part: before you start your drawing process, while the yellow coloring is drying sort out the small almond slices for the wings since they will stay on better and look more proportionate to the bee *
Let your marshmallows dry (I put them on their sides that would be covered with wings so if the color came off their it'd be fine) on the wax paper so they won't stick.
Once they are dry you can draw on your black lines with the gel. I put the gel on a toothpick so I could see what I was doing better since I was working with a small space.
Put extra gel on the sides of the bumblebee to attach the almond slices for wings. Put on each wing and hold the bumblebee by squeezing the wings a little for a second or two to make sure they really stick on there.
I taped the bees to Tupperware lids to keep them up since I hadn't done the cake yet to put them directly in, but do whatever you find convenient for you. Let them finishing drying and enjoy!



 Leave me a comment if you have any questions