Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter

So the day before Easter I decided last minute I wanted to dye some eggs since I hadn't done that since getting married. Having no "Easter dye" I googled making your own and found out it's way easier and cheaper than getting the official stuff. It's just water, a little bit of vinegar, and food coloring if you were wondering. I decided to do only three colors and came up with yellow, orange, and this really pretty robin's egg dipping them in for different amounts of time to get different shades. But other than that our home wasn't decorated (we only decorate for Christmas... so far) and I wasn't really in the "Easter" holiday feel (other than of course appreciating the true meaning of Easter, especially now as a mother and understanding just a little bit what it must have been like for Heavenly Father to watch as everything happened). 
Cohen and I had been invited to an Easter Egg hunt for the Thursday before but we passed on it since Cohen doesn't like to actually be on grass. The farthest he gets is crawling up to the edge of the blanket and touching the grass with his fingers very gently. Plus with all the kids running around I figured it just wouldn't work. So I had no plans of doing an egg hunt but since I had dyed some eggs Dave said why not lay out just a couple on the floor for him to crawl to the next morning. 
So because of this after Cohen woke up for the morning and I fed him I handed him off to Dave for a little bit while I grabbed my camera and four eggs for Cohen. I told the boys I was ready and saw Dave helping Cohen walk into the room (one of his favorite things to do). Then Dave set him on the floor and let him go to town. Cohen crawled to the first egg and played with it very gently, never picking it up, for a second and then I'd put it in the basket I had put all the eggs into and he'd move on to the next egg. It was short, simple, and sweet and Cohen had fun. Dave and I had our hard boiled eggs for breakfast. We hung out for a little bit and then it was time to get ready for church (one thing I do like about having church at one is there's no rush in the morning).
Church was great even though we could only stay for sacrament meeting because of having a very grumpy and tired little boy who can't fall asleep at church. Easter and Christmas are the best for church.
We came home, ate some lunch, napped, and then got dinner ready. We had pork (I know it's not the traditional ham but I hadn't ever cooked pork and wanted to try it out), artichokes, and ranch potatoes. It was super tasty. All in all it was another successful holiday.








in the kitchen while I dyed the eggs


post egg dying in front of Cohen's master piece