Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Hunger Games

So after seeing the movie a while ago Dave and I decided we both wanted to read the books. We both enjoyed the movie so thought it was about time to join in with everyone else. Dave started on the series first and after he finished the first book and started in on the second I picked up the first one to read for myself. I can honestly say I think I enjoyed the movie better than the first book. The only moment that really helped out the book over the movie was when Katniss talked about what happened with Peeta and when he gave her the bread (seeing as the movie always showed her flashbacks but never really explained why it was such an important moment for her and why she can't shake the memory), but other than that I think I liked the movie better.
With all the books being written in first person I found myself skipping over paragraphs to get to the dialog a lot more than I do when it's in third person. I'm not sure if it was a this book only thing or if it had to do with me not really liking the main character. (I know that the later is true for the Twilight Saga... the second book equaled me reading pretty much only the beginning and the end when she gets to Italy). The sequels both went a lot faster for me than the first book did too. Overall I'd say the books were alright, but I wouldn't say I love them.