Sunday, May 1, 2011

Eclipse

So I finally watched "Eclipse", yes it's been out for a year I believe. But after finally watching it I'm wondering --
I remember the excitement from people that this film was the best one made in the series so far and I really wonder if that is true or if people have just let their expectations for the movies down. Honestly I'm just happy with a movie if I'm entertained, not if they follow the book to the t. Sure it's nice if they can make a movie as close to a book as possible, but haven't we learned by now that it's not going to happen. They had to make extended versions of "Lord of the Rings" and I'm sure there was still a bunch of stuff missing. Plus I really think that the quality of the book and the fan base make a big impact on the film as well. For me the the Twilight Saga was a good enough series that yes I wanted to read them all (minus half of the second book, I wanted to just kill Bella so I didn't have to listen to her complain anymore) but I hated the main character and didn't fall for Edward. As far as all the other less important of the major characters (the rest of the Cullen Clan and Bella's dad) I don't think I could've made it through all 4 books. I love Alice and Jasper's relationship and the interesting qualities that everyone else brings to the book, but Bella, Edward, and Jacob (don't think I forgot about him) are just repetitive to me throughout the series with the exception being the 4th book.
Interestingly enough though when I heard the author of the series had posted up on her website the first couple of chapters (in rough draft form too) of a book she was working on where she went back and told the "Bella Edward" story from Edward's perspective I was actually really curious as to how those books would work. Part of that being I think girls can be good authors, but are often not realistic in the way that they try to have the characters notice every little detail of how the light catches on the deep maroon tapestries in the dark and dusty living room. The other part being writing from a boy's perspective as a woman and with my first point. But I read them and I was intrigued and really wished that she could've continued and published the series. But that won't happen as far as I can see so I moved on.
So maybe with all this in mind (yes I know I rambled a lot in there) I think that this movie really wasn't that much better than any of the others. I believe that we had just learned to accept the actors chosen to portray their casted characters and new what to expect from the film based on the two previous films. And if you were willing enough to go to both movies why not watch the third one rather than cut yourself off. People I think are curious and want to know things and so once they start something such as this they need to see it through to the end. So until that 5th film comes out (yes they are splitting the last book into two movies just like they did for the final Harry Potter book to movie) people will need to know what Bella Kristen Stewart (I do think she's gotten prettier though over the years) and Edward Robert Pattinson are going to do. And oddly enough people will probably say it was one of the better films made but it will be no different than any of the others. They'll still be a little awkward, you'll still wish that it was "truer to the book's story line" and the young teenagers will still love seeing Rob and Taylor.
--
Gabrielle Jean Zaugg