Saturday, April 2, 2011

I Hate Misleading Back Covers

So when I go to read a book I always read the back cover of the book before buying/reading the book just so I have a feel of the book. I hate it when the back cover doesn't give you any clue what the book is about and is just filled with stupid quotes by newspapers raving about the book. I really don't care if the newspapers everywhere in the world just LOVED the book, it won't change my opinion of it what so ever and you know that they only choose the ones that make the book sound good so there is no point in reading the quotes.
But worse than this I think is when the book has a false sum up of the book. I can't really think of any specific books that did this to me recently that was 100% off, but I did just read "The Queen's Fool" by Philippa Gregory ( I thoroughly enjoyed this book, probably one of my favorites in the Tudor series) and I of course read the back cover before diving into the lush 500 pages about the queen's fool. Now let me quote you what the back of this book told me it was about --
"It is winter, 1553. Pursued by the Inquisition, Hannah Green, a fourteen-year-old Jewish girl, is forced to flee Spain with her father. But Hannah is no ordinary refugee. Her gift of "Sight," the ability to foresee the future, is priceless in the troubled times of the Tudor court. Hannah is adopted by the glamorous Robert Dudley, the charismatic son of King Edward's protector, who brings her to court as a "holly fool" for Queen Mary and, ultimately, Queen Elizabeth. Hired as a fool but working as a spy; promised in wedlock but in lover with her master; endangered by the laws against heresy, treason, and witchcraft, Hannah must choose between the safe life of a commoner and the dangerous intrigues of the royal family that are inextricably bound up in her own yearnings and desires."
Now, if you read that the same way that I did it definitely sounds like Hannah works, for the majority of the book, for Queen Elizabeth right? This of course is false in all accounts. She does indeed work for Elizabeth, but only when she's the Princess Elizabeth. The book starts with King Edward (who is mentioned) but we all know he lives a short life, then Jane Grey becomes queen (for an even shorter duration....) and Mary takes the throne (this is the queen known as "Bloody Mary", yes the one who when you were little if you said her name in a dark bathroom would show up and scratch you. Ha, remember those days in elementary school? anyways....) and the rest of the book lasts the duration of Mary's life. This book isn't a big lie on the back of the cover, it just gave me a false idea of the time span it would cover within those 500 pages, but I was able to figure that out fairly early on in the book. So it's not the best example of this, but it is an example none the less and the only one I could think of since it was the most recent book I had read.

Sorry I had to ramble on about all this... I just needed to get it out into the world...


***wow I just looked at this on my blog, it's probably the longest thing I've written on here in a long time***